Translate

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A new beginning

Welcome everyone to my first ever blog.  A bit scary right?

I've never done anything like this before and I guess you might call me a late bloomer to some of the Internet's most common features but it's never too late to start, or so they say.  This blog is primarily focused around my love for gaming and model hobby.  I have some specific games and armies I'm working on most often which are Dark Angels, Codex Space Marines, and Tyranids in Warhammer 40,000 as well as the Nomads faction in Infinity.  I'm sure there are going to be some other ramblings from time to time but that goes with the territory.  You will be able to expect entries, pictures, ideas, etc. as pertains to Wargaming and related topics.  

So, let's start with my specific interests in gaming.

I've been involved in different types of gaming since I was a child but was introduced to roleplaying and some table top wargaming when I was about 14.  We're talking 1994.  The very first game I ever played in the RPG genre was Call of Cthulhu.  The storyteller(that's the title of the game master or narrator if you like in CoC) was a buddy of mine and he wasn't a master at this type of thing but back then it was a magical experience.  We would meet at a FLGS or Friendly Local Gaming Store that was a bit unorthodox in that it was a lot more like a gaming club with rooms for rent that were all set up for different gaming options.  Most often we'd end up in the attic space of this place at the long formal dinner style table and spend long hours going through our scenarios.  
This time was an excellent one for me.  With my friends and a small rotating circle of different players and game masters we expanded to other games.  I played AD&D, Vampire the Masquerade, Shadowrun, Gamma World, and lots of Magic the Gathering.  On the edge of our group there was always this other genre of gaming that was Miniature Wargames or scenario based games in some cases.  Since I could hold a crayon I had been heavily into art and the idea of painting and playing with these figures was always in the back of my mind.
Fast forward a little bit and I had been hired by a small local Game Distribution company.  This was great for me even though it meant I put my own paychecks nearly entirely back into the stores.  Even better though was the exposure it gave me to miniatures.  When the store received a new shipment of the original Warzone: The Mutant Chronicles, I was asked to paint up many of the store's own figures for display and demo games.  I went to town on this and I still have a few of those figures from 1998.
There was another, much more powerful company making miniatures back then, and truthfully for much longer.  I had always known about them but never had the opportunity to learn more.  This company was Games Workshop.  The local company that I worked for actually refused to purchase from them because the costs and business practices they upheld apparently didn't sit well with the owner.  As a consequence my town rarely saw any Games Workshop product at all.  Somewhere along the way though I was able to find some artwork from the company for their Sci-Fi/Fantasy wargame epic title Warhammer 40,000.  I was inspired.  Driving about 40 minutes away I found a general hobby store that happened to carry a very mismatched grouping of the product and I immediately bought a box of Assault Space Marines, having no idea what to do with them.  This was effectively where I hit a dead spot though because I didn't know anyone that was involved with the game.  So, somewhere among my belongings my original package of Assault Marines sat collecting dust while my own life caused my interests to drift and took me further away from my old gaming circles.  Years would pass and life would go on.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment