Translate

Thursday, June 19, 2014

And so where were we?

Reminiscing on my gaming past and how I got to this page.  Well, a small shock for you is that I'm not going to finish that story just yet.  I like a bit of the cliffhanger style myself.  So, if you're patient with me we'll get  a little bit more of story time in soon.

One of the things I do love is writing in general.  I might ramble on here or there.  I might use language that seems a little silly.  Perhaps my time in roleplaying and narrative gaming has made me more eccentric than the average bear.  But I find that writing is as much art as the pencil sketches or pastel induced chaos I have put to plaster since I was younger.  As I get used to blogging, find my way, I suppose there might be a bit of the chaos mixed in.

So the real meat of this blog is supposed to be wargaming and the hobby around it from my own experiences.  I often turn my mind on the hobby, the games, the community.  I watch YouTube and look at the forums.  One thing I don't get to do nearly enough is actually play. Sometimes life is getting in the way and sometimes it's where I live.  I'm a little too far away from town and trying to change that for a lot of reasons but one small reason I have to say is that it would get me closer to a gaming community.  I'm sure my struggles to get a solid group together will feature here as I continue.

I can't keep going with this blog without more clearly getting to the point though.  Let's start where I started now some years past.  The game that truly brought me into the wargaming community specifically.  Warhammer 40,000.  What can I say that hasn't been said?  It's the biggest game, made by the biggest company.  It has the sheer gravitas to be number one in an industry that is now exploding with new content and ideas.  It's the game that is largely responsible for making that explosion possible.  In an era that sees computer and console gaming as an intrinsic part of life for so many.  Where virtual games, not physical ones, are the truly dominant style.  Warhammer 40,000 or just 40k has cut out a firm place for people who still value a real experience that must be seen, touched, and developed on a table rather than on a screen.

I began with an army that will always be first, at least for me.  The First Legion.  Dark Angels. Space Marines to be sure but not exactly like any other.  The lore of this army is perhaps the greatest of all.  Anyone can choose to argue the virtues of their own favorite army of course, but they won't convince me it trumps that of the true Angels of Death.  Before other armies rose in popularity the Dark Angels were built on the idea of the Knights Templar.  A monastic knightly order steeped in the traditions of feudalism, esoterica, and combat prowess.  Every line of text and every brush stroke of depicting artwork brought their mystery to life.  I remember I saw an older piece of artwork that showcased their massive power armored forms cloaked in heavy robes and hoods and brandishing wicked medieval swords and I was hooked.  And really, what's not to like?

So, in order to get a little hobby put in here I'm adding a link to the very first well known Dark Angels figure that I finished.  In fact he's one of their villains, perhaps, but one of the best as well, and so I had to make this model.  A very great Dark Angel website called The Dark Fortress and it's Chronicler Isiah were kind enough to host my photos of none other than Cypher, The Fallen Angel.  Rather than embedding this I'm going to leave it as a proper link so you can actually enjoy The Dark Fortress if you haven't before.  It's a great site and many thanks to them.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment