Translate

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Oh, so shameful...

Oh no!  Just like that I missed a day already.  Well, I'm going to have to make up for it.

Without getting too deep in any regret over missing my post last night I'm going to jump into the first one today.  That's implying I might post more than once.  We'll see about that.

So, I've owned a Relic Contemptor Dreadnought since Games Day 2012.  I went there for a few reasons but one was to pick up a Forge World order I had made.  Of course after I got home I was a bit over-zealous and got right to work on the figure.  I did do some great work in my opinion but I also made some silly mistakes.  Things like not getting a full primer coat into all the nooks and crannies of the figure.  Finally my worst mistake was when I had nearly completed the model I decided to take it apart in a couple of sections and add more magnets.  In my desire to forge ahead I used a very large magnet in the pelvic section and didn't sink it's twin in the abdomen in deep enough.  The results can be seen below.  Sad face.



You can see there where the hip meets the abdomen section there's too much showing.  It should sit much deeper into it's setting.  So my main task was to fix that as well as find a way to more properly finish the paint job.  The good news is I was able to figure out a way to remove this magnet configuration even though I had used JB Weld two part epoxy to install them.  I chose to break the abdomen piece away from the upper body and drill down through its top.  That allowed me to get in with some other fine Dremel tools and remove this large magnet while not destroying the very soft resin cast part.


So now I was able to use some Green stuff to fill up those parts and smooth them back properly and they were ready to get a new prime coat.  I did do some masking with blue tack which really helped me keep some of the old paint.  As it stands it's still a WIP model but well on its way.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment